I Scream, You Scream...

Thursday, April 1, 2010
Yesterday I was sitting in my office when I found myself tunelessly singing, "Do your ears hang low, do they wobble to and fro, can you tie 'em in a knot, can you tie 'em in a bow...?"  What the heck?  I sat there for a moment, baffled, trying to figure out why I was singing this crazy children's song when I realized that I could hear it, ever so faintly, off in the distance.  All of a sudden it hit me--ICE CREAM TRUCK!!  It was a gorgeous day--the first we've had where it exceeded 70 degrees--and I was reminded immediately why I love my little Minnesota neighborhood.  I stepped out on the balcony (where I'm sitting in my 80 year-old-lady rocking chair writing this post) and saw the two little red-headed girls across the street dancing and twirling in their tiny yard as they waited for the ice cream truck to make its way to their house.  I spent a few minutes looking up and down the street, trying to identify the exact location of the ice cream truck, but it was nowhere to be found and when it started playing "We Wish You A Merry Christmas" it lost its charm, I became bored, and I headed back inside.


Fast forward to this afternoon.  "Twinkle twinkle little star, how I wonder what you are..."  Wait.  Today has been another gorgeous day (It's currently 80 degrees!) and it sounded like the ice cream truck was making the rounds again.  It may be because I grew up without an ice cream truck in the neighborhood, or it may be because it makes the neighborhood feel straight out of Leave It To Beaver, but I absolutely loved the idea of an ice cream truck in the neighborhood, so back out to the balcony I went to try to spot it.


It didn't take long, as the truck was just a block away from my condo and a few children were making their way out to the street with dollar bills in hand, but when I spotted it I did a double-take.  Then I went inside, got my camera, zoomed in as far as I could, took a photo, then previewed the photo on the camera's screen and zoomed in again, as far as it would go.  Sure enough.  Ice cream.




But it sure looks like a chester van to me.  Suddenly the neighborhood ice cream truck has lost its charm.  Creepy.

1 comments:

Hillary said...

That is a super creepy ice cream truck!!! I think I would be sure to walk with my (someday) kids to get ice cream, no going it alone for them.

Super fun though, and very Leave it to Beaver-ish. Our neighborhood has a 4th of July parade every year where the kids actually decorate their bikes with streamers and crate paper...I can't wait!!!

Post a Comment