White Bear Surprise

Tuesday, January 26, 2010
If you've been on a road trip with me (Beth, Colleen, Eva, Missy, Nancy, Ryan...) you pretty much know what to expect.  If you haven't, you probably haven't seen The World's Largest Chocolate Moose, The Land of Make Believe, The World's Tallest Land Structure, The World's Largest Ball of Twine, a family of hamburger people in tribute to A&W Root Beer, a tennis shoe bigger than a Cadillac, or a 15-foot tall swan.  I have seen all of these things, and many, many others.  In fact, spotting these random roadside attractions is one of my favorite activities, and when I spot something I didn't expect to see there is generally a lot of giggling and clapping of hands followed immediately by shrieking at the driver to pull over while I dig furiously through my purse for my camera.


I generally try to have an idea of which major roadside attractions are in my immediate vicinity, but Julia and I ventured into new territory in the Minneapolis metro area today and I was not prepared for what we discovered:





Isn't he great?!  Now Julia and I haven't had much experience traveling together so this was her first roadside attraction spotting with me, but fortunately I was pretty calm about this one and didn't start screaming about pulling off the road the second I saw it.  (I think it was because I spotted it from a ways away, giving us plenty of time to plan our attack.)  I think she was pretty entertained by my reaction to it, and she quickly pulled into the parking lot of this Chevy dealership and then drove all over the parking lot to allow me the best shot of him.  And, as if this isn't great enough, in talking to a local about him we found out that they dress him seasonally (swim trunks in the summer, etc.), so guess who'll be returning to White Bear Lake, MN four times a year?!

7 comments:

Missy said...

How have I never seen this? Oh, happiness. Have you seen the car with the mannequin in it about 40 feet in the air? My grandpa used to say that was his girlfriend.

Hillary said...

My favorite is The Nut Factory located at the Washington/Idaho border. But if you want some real excitement, head to the Wisc. Dells for some larger than life things lining the road. Oh, and stop by Madison if you decide to go!

Sazzle said...

This is one of my FAVORITE things about you! I was just telling someone the other day that I wanted to take a road trip of the US just to see these types of attractions!

Beth Slater said...

Love, love, LOVE that they dress him seasonally.
Good find, Starner and Julia!!

Trish said...

Miss--I think you'll have to come to MN and take me to see it!

Hillary--I haven't been to The Nut Factory, but I've been through the Dells a gazillion times and I have a theory that no matter which exit you take you'll find an awesome roadside attraction. The pink elephant wearing spectacles is probably my favorite. Or the mouse standing on a wedge of cheese holding a "Welcome to Wisconsin" sign. Oh, and um...Madison is on the opposite side of the Dells...but hopefully we can arrange a get-together SOON! :)

Steph, I'm always up for a road trip, so if you ever want to take one just let me know! I'm very good at finding this sort of random stuff!

Nancy said...

World's Largest Tire, a giant fisherman... A REAL MOOSE (I know that last one isn't an attraction but I felt it was worthy of mention.)

Heidi, Kurt, Meagan, Colleen, Erin, Marguerite said...

We can't forget Lucy the Elephant in Margate, NJ? T*Star, you are MVP of Road Trips for a reason!!!

Post a Comment